“Taking care of your skin is more important than covering it up” That’s a quote I once read in a magazine, and isn’t it just the truth! I mean you can put as much foundation on as you want, but it’s what’s underneath – the blank canvas – that’s really important.
My skin has always been so important to me, and even on my drunkest nights out I somehow remembered to take off my makeup before I slipped into a drunken state of unconsciousness. The main reason for always taking off my makeup is because I have a spot phobia, I’m not not even sure technically if that’s a thing, but if it is I definitely have it! Pathetic as it is, getting a spot or blemish is pretty much the end world for me. I can’t apologise for being so petty about something so small and trivial it’s just who I am.
I love makeup and wear it pretty much everyday, it makes me feel more confident, and trust me when I say I look much better with makeup on! Although right now I am sat here writing this makeup free (apart from lashes because a girl is never complete without lashes!) but since the sun has come out I have enjoyed having bare skin (yes I am wearing an SPF of course!) but I’m letting nature do it’s thing and bring out my freckles! But that’s kind of the beauty of lockdown no where to go and no one to see!
In order to keep outbreaks under control and keep my skin refreshed and healthy(ish) I have ALWAYS religiously stuck to a morning and nighttime cleansing ritual, it’s important to make time for yourself because no matter how much I love putting makeup on, taking it all off is far more satisfying.
Morning & Evening cleansing routine
1. Splashing my face with cold water to get the blood circulating (mornings only) For some reason I do this 10 times in the morning, and I have done for years! It feels good and wakes you up too!!
2. Cleansing – I love giving my skin both a good morning and nighttime cleanse. In the mornings it makes my skin feel awake and revived and in the evenings I love getting off the dirt and grime that has settled on my skin throughout the day. I am currently using The skin D Luxe facial cleanser by Fake Bake £15. It’s a wash off cleanser that I leave on for about 5 minutes before rinsing with a bamboo cloth and warm water.
3. Tone – A good toner will remove any remaining bits of oil, dirt and debris left behind by the cleanser. More importantly, toner will help soothe, nourish and hydrate your skin. I use Skin D Luxe radiant reveal face toner by Fake Bake £10. This is a great product as it balances and controls shine, due to its oil reducing ingredients, it also softens skin for a brighter more radiant complexion.
3. Moisturise – Who doesn’t love freshly moisturised skin? Applying moisturiser to the face after cleansing and toning gives it healthy sheen, and keeps it hydrated and healthy. In the mornings I use Skin Feast by Tropic Skincare £24. This product not only gives my skin a really nice healthy glow, but also smells absolutely delicious! For the evenings however I prefer something thicker and use Firming sleeping cream by Sephora $15
5. Spot Treatment – Okay I am lucky enough to have relatively clear skin apart from the odd little outbreak here and there, but in the event I do get an outbreak I have ONE product and ONE product only that I SWEAR by – Origins Super Spot RemoverBlemish Treatment Gel! I have tried many many different spot treatments over the years and this one beats them all! Just dab a a little of the gel on the blemish and LITERALLY FEEL the Salicylic Acid instantly start to tingle! You can actually feel it working! At a cost of £16 it’s well worth it and I wouldn’t be without it!
I also include in the mix of the cleansing routine a weekly face mask and of course in the summer some sun screen – it’s an essential!