I love hummus (who doesn’t right?) Its usually an item that’s included in my weekly shop and I enjoy eating it with a variety of fresh vegetables and pitta bread. Sometimes especially in the summer months that’s all I really fancy for my dinner!
I decided (because I’m in the mood for experimenting) that I was going to attempt making my own hummus! OF COURSE I turned to Pinterest for an easy healthy recipe that would have me whipping up a delicious homemade hummus in no time at all!
I found one pretty quickly that I had already saved to my food & drink board on my own Pinterest account which you can follow by clicking the link on my home page.
I hadn’t actually planned to make hummus it was a last minute decision, therefore I had to do a bit of improvisation on the ingredients!
For this delicious homemade hummus you will need the following (Note this is not my recipe)
- 43g of good-quality tahini
- 2–4 tablespoons cold water, or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (I didn’t have cloves so used instead lazy garlic)
- juice of 1 lemon (2–3 tablespoons) (I used instead the lemon juice in a bottle)
- 1 can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- optional toppings: extra drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, sprinkle of ground sumac or paprika, toasted pine nuts (I didn’t add any of this, but will next time when I am better prepared)
Next up was to throw it altogether and blitz away in my blender. Seriously now looking to invest in a food processor! The blender worked okay but as with most things unless it’s a smoothie it doesn’t blend everything into a really smooth consistency, therefore this was a chunky hummus!
The end product okay may not look visually pleasing BUT it tasted really good! It did need to be blended a bit more which is something that I will aim for next time. But overall taste was good! Luke also really liked it (and he’s the honest one!) It was so quick and easy to make that I doubt I’ll be rushing to buy shop bought ones anytime soon!!
I served my hummus this evening on top of my seafood salad bowl!